I first tasted this dish in the Kalahari. Chris Mostert was the chef and I immediately knew this was a recipe that must be shared.
You will need
A wok or a pan that can be used outdoors
Oil for frying
2 packets of bacon
2 big onions finely sliced
3 teaspoons of chopped chili (or to taste)
3 tins of chopped whole tomatoes
Spices to flavor. I have used a blend of Italian Herbs and it worked out perfectly.
4 fat cloves of garlic – sliced
Salt and pepper
2 types of cheese (Cheddar and Mozzarella)
You will have to
1. Light a fire or your gas implement. When this is ready heat your wok or pan.
2. Cut the bacon into pieces and fry till crisp. Take out and set aside.
3. Add onions, garlic and chilies to the wok and fry for about 5 minutes or till soft.
4. Add tomatoes and cook down to a thick sauce.
5. Season with salt and pepper and add spices.
6. Make hollows in the mixture and break an egg into each.
7. Sprinkle the bacon over the eggs and tomatoe mixture.
8. Cut the cheese into 1cm pieces and sprinkle over the mixture.
9. Cover the pan. The dish will be ready when the egg whites are firm.
10. Serve immediately, garnished with the chopped coriander and pumpkin seeds.
Now open wide and shout: Olé! Olé!
I was eating in a Chinese restaurant downtown. There was a dish called Mother and Child Reunion. It’s chicken and eggs. And I said, I gotta use that one. – Paul Simon
I’ve met a lot of hardboiled eggs in my time, but you’re twenty minutes. – Billy Wilder
It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs. – Margaret Thatcher